Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is eyeing a deal for Bayern Munich star Renato Sanches as a replacement for Barcelona bound Philippe Coutinho.
The Reds are hoping to trump Manchester United, Chelsea and AC Milan to a deal for the Portuguese star after his torrid spell in Germany.
Sanches only joined the Bundesliga champions from Benfica last summer – after he played a starring role in Portugal’s Euro 2016-winning heroics.
However, in 25 games in all competitions for Bayern, the midfielder, 19, failed to impress – even failing to score a single goal.
The sub-par debut season led team CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge to hint Sanches would be let out on loan, or even sold, this summer.
He claimed: “He is a player who needs to play regularly.
“So if we feel he is not going to get enough game time, then we will loan him out, or maybe even sell him.
“Last season, particularly after the winter break, he didn’t get enough appearances.
Who is Renato Sanches - the Portuguese midfield sensation?
- Beat Marcus Rashford to win the Golden Boy award for best young football player playing in Europe in 2016
- Former winners include Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Isco and Paul Pogba
- Faced accusations that he lied about his age – but date of birth has since been proved by Portuguese hospital
- Came through the ranks at Benfica and made his first start in Champions League draw with Astana in November 2015
- Won Portuguese goal of the season in debut campaign for the Eagles
- Snubbed Manchester United to join Bayern Munich in £28m deal at the end of that season
- Was named Young Player of the Tournament as Portugal stunned Europe to win Euro 2016, netting against Poland
- Dynamic style of play has seen him compared to Chelsea star Cesc Fabregas
- Confident on the ball and tries to play his way out of tight spaces
- Rumoured to be available after Bayern signed James Rodriguez and Corentin Tolisso
“That wasn’t because of the coach, it was because of [Sanches] himself.”
Meanwhile, Sanches suggested he wanted to leave after claiming he wanted a change of scenery.
The Portuguese ace said: “Of course, I’d like to play more.
“That’s why I would like to change and go to a club that can give me more minutes.
“I am now on the China tour with FC Bayern, but after that we will get together in Munich and hopefully one find solution.”
Meanwhile, Anfield star Coutinho continues to edge towards a move to Barcelona, as the La Liga giants look to replace Neymar – himself a £195million target for Paris Saint-Germain.
Yet Klopp will face a battle for Sanches’ signature, with Milan and United keen to bring the teenager in.
The Serie A side most recently saw a £45m bid for the midfielder rejected this week.
Chelsea are another side currently monitoring Sanches’ situation, particularly after losing Nemanja Matic to Jose Mourinho’s side on Monday.
Have you signed up to play fantasy football yet?
If the answer is no you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.
Because the Dream Team game – the UK’s biggest fantasy football game – is back and better than ever this season.
You’ve got a £50m budget to pick 11 players, with all the biggest new signings ready and raring to go ahead of a mouthwatering new Premier League campaign.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up to play now!