ALVARO MORATA’S move to Manchester United could be completed TODAY, according to reports in Spain.
After Real Madrid rejected a £70million bid for the Spanish striker on Wednesday, Jose Mourinho increased his offer by £5m to land his top target.
Los Blancos president Florentino Perez had been holding out for £80m, but could be willing to meet in the middle.
Spanish newspaper Marca reported overnight that the offer could be accepted ‘in the next few hours’.
Morata is desperate to move to Old Trafford, where he knows he will be first choice.
The striker, 24, scored 20 goals last season as Zinedine Zidane’s team won the Spanish title and the Champions League – but Morata started just 18 matches.
Mourinho wants a deal in place before his squad fly out to the US for their pre-season tour early next week.
Morata remains on his honeymoon with new wife Alice Campello, but his father, Alfonso, and agent Juanma Lopez, have all but agreed personal terms with United.
Alvaro Morata factfile
- Alvaro Morata, aged 24, was born in Madrid, Spain, in October 1992.
- He spent two years at Atletico Madrid’s academy before moving on to Getafe and then Real in 2008, still a junior player.
- Morata made his debut for Real in August 2010, scoring against Castilla.
- He joined Juventus in July 2014 for £17.5million but Real retained an option to buy him back.
- After scoring 27 goals in 93 games in Italy, Real bought Morata back for £26million in 2016.
- Last season he managed 20 goals for Real, his best return.
- He made his international debut for Spain in 2014 and has nine goals from 20 games.
- Morata is a complete modern striker, who is strong on the ball, has energy and pace, and at 6ft 2in is also lethal in the air.
- Could he be a fantasy football favourite? Sign up to Dream Team now
The striker is ready to leave Sardinia to complete his medical and join up with the rest of the squad if the move is finalised.
Mourinho has maintained regular contact with Morata in recent weeks, with the striker keen not to be part of Real Madrid’s squad for pre-season.
The United boss wants Morata to be part of the tour of the US to give the striker as much time as possible to forge relationships with his new team-mates.
United fly to America at the start of next week, ahead of their first game against MLS side LA Galaxy on July 15.
The £75m offer will be the third Manchester United have officially submitted to the Spanish giants – with previous bids of £61.5m and £70.2m not being enough.
Mourinho has been hugely frustrated so far this summer, with only one major signing – Victor Lindelof – arriving so far.
Moves for a host of stars, including Cristiano Ronaldo, Antoine Griezmann, Fabinho, Michael Keane and Renato Sanches have all ended in failure.
Like fantasy football? You can pre-register for Dream Team’s 2017/18 game…