Jump directly to the content

News Corp is a network of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information services.

DREAM TEAM

Your Sun

A News UK Company
TOP
JOKE

Mohamed Salah’s Puskas Award winner didn’t even win Premier League Goal of the Month

Jermain Defoe's volley against Crystal Palace pipped the Egyptian's derby day strike

Democracy doesn’t work.

Last night at the ceremony for FIFA’s ‘The Best’ Awards, Mohamed Salah won the Puskas Award.

A public vote determined his strike against Everton in December of 2017 was the best goal scored anywhere in the world last season.

The Egyptian’s effort was deemed to be a better goal than either of Cristiano Ronaldo or Gareth Bale’s Champions League bicycle kicks.

Benjamin Pavard’s stunning World Cup volley was also slapped with a ‘at least you tried’ sticker.

Salah’s goal was a beauty but best of the season on a worldwide scale? Don’t think so.

James Milner couldn’t resist a friendly dig at his team-mate on Twitter…

2

A little digging reveals that Salah’s goal against Everton didn’t even win Premier League Goal of the Month.

Jermain Defoe’s Marco van Basten impression versus Crystal Palace earned the veteran striker the December 2017 edition of the award.

A public vote only accounts for 10% of the weighting in the monthly Prem award, with the other 90% determined from a panel of experts.

The end result is a goal which is officially the best of last season anywhere in the world while simultaneously not the best Premier League strike of December.

Football, eh?

It’s not Salah’s fault of course.

All he did was score a fantastic goal in a huge derby.

His rapid progression from semi-wasteful winger to one of the world’s very best players has seen him reach unprecedented levels of popularity in Egypt.

Such is his celebrity status that public votes are often hijacked by Egyptian fans, whose fanatical support must be admired.

The problem is, like with the Puskas award, this often results in mild injustice.

“Pavard’s goal, mate. What a banger!”

Getty - Contributor
2
“Pavard’s goal, mate. What a banger!”

The idea of a public vote is nice, but unfortunately, football fans can’t be trusted to put bias aside.

Time for a rethink, FIFA…


NEXT: 6 Mohamed Salah goals from last season that are better than his Puskas winner