Loris Karius’s shambolic display against Real Madrid in the Champions League final is still fresh in the memory for some Liverpool fans.
And while Alisson’s error against Leicester at the weekend may have invoked hints of PTSD, the Brazilian is still a massive upgrade on his German predecessor.
After his £67m arrival from Roma this summer, Karius was duly shipped off on a two-year loan to Besiktas with an obligation to buy in his contract if requirements are fulfilled.
Have you signed up to play Dream Team Weekender?
- Pick 7 players – no limit to the number of players you can choose from one club
- No transfer budget – any player is available to pick
- Only Saturday and Sunday fixtures
- Sign up to play Dream Team Weekender now
But the ghost of the German is still lingering around the club.
That’s because Karius, despite almost being guaranteed to be away from Anfield for at least two seasons, has been named in Liverpool’s official 25-man Premier League squad this campaign.
Karius has been named alongside Alisson and Simon Mignolet as the club’s three goalkeeping options.
And he’s made the cut ahead of a player who still actually harbours hopes of playing for the Reds this season.
Lazar Markovic was all set to follow Karius out of the Anfield exit door this summer, with a move to Anderlecht mooted after spending the second half of last season on loan at the Belgian club.
The deal fell through, with the Serbian winger rejecting the idea that money caused it to breakdown.
But Markovic’s ambitions to force his way into Jurgen Klopp’s plans this season have been dealt a huge blow after he failed to make the 25-man cut.
Instead the 24-year-old is facing a few months in the wilderness until January arrives, with even appearances in the under-23 setup unlikely.
- 6 players who you completely forgot still play for Premier League clubs
- QUIZ: Do these players play for Brighton or Huddersfield?
- Fantasy football: How attacking left-backs have lit up the Premier League this season