EA is “closely monitoring” allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Juventus and Portugal ace, 33, was the cover star for FIFA 19 as well as last year’s game.
The footballer is alleged to have sexually assaulted american Kathryn Mayorga in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009 – then paying her $375,000 before signing a non-disclosure agreement.
German newspaper Der Spiegel reported that Mayorga told Las Vegas police the day after the incident is alleged to have occurred.
The police have since reopened the investigation with Mayorga filing a civil complaint against Ronaldo.
The outcome of the case could have serious consequences for EA.
For one, Ronaldo has been used in nearly every piece of marketing material for FIFA 19.
As well as gracing the cover, the Portuguese also appears in the game’s story mode – The Journey: Champions – not to mention Ultimate Team.
According to this Resetera thread, EA appears to have briefly removed Ronaldo from its official FIFA 19 promotional website.
However, as of October 7, his image has since returned.
Speaking to PCGamesN, an EA spokesperson said that: “We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo.
“We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values.”