NEW footage has emerged of tourists fleeing for their lives as gunmen launch a deadly terror attack on a museum in Tunisia.
Explosions and automatic rifle fire echo through the gallery where visitors were on a guided tour.
Italian tourist Maria Rita Gelotti can be heard asking her husband Marcello Salvatori: “Did they shoot?”
The couple cowered with other tourists in a fire escape as three fanatics rampaged through the Bardo National Museum in Tunis, killing 21 people.
Mobile phone video shows the moment confusion turns to terror as the tour group realise the danger they are in.
They run up and down stairs trying to find somewhere to hide before they are guided by a museum worker through a set of doors into the fire escape.
Ms Gelotti, now back in Italy, said: “We cried and hugged. My husband and I thought we would die because while we descended the stairs we heard Kalashnikovs firing behind and on top of us.
“Then I saw a guy with his trousers covered in blood. We didn’t know how many dead there were in there. We didn’t know anything. All that night I cried, genuinely frightened.”
Her husband said: “Immediately I thought, ‘Is someone shooting at us?’
“Suddenly, after another shot, then we realised that it could be an attack, but as the shot resounded I thought that had been a bomb.
“We began to move, to walk, then we were running.”
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the March 18 atrocity, which killed 19 foreign tourists including Brit mum Sally Jane Adey, 57.
Around 50 people were injured.
Two gunmen – Yassine Laabidi and Hatem Khachnaoui – were shot dead by security forces in a gun battle inside the museum. A third is on the run.