AC MILAN directors have launched an ambitious probe into the availability of Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo.
CEO Marco Fassone and sporting director Massimiliano Mirabelli held a meeting – reported to be in London – with super agent Jorge Mendes, and asked about the Ballon d’Or holder.
According to Sky Italia, the pair asked Mendes whether Ronaldo had any interest in leaving the Spanish giants.
However, they do admit that the tone was more questioning rather than with any firm intention behind it.
The pair were reportedly told that Ronaldo would cost at least £179MILLION in a transfer fee and would demand £550,000-a-week in wages.
With the total deal costing between £350m and £400m Milan would be priced out.
Ronaldo has been linked with a move away from the Bernabeu all summer, although it appears as if he is positioning himself to sign another improved contract.
The Portuguese, 32, had been linked with a return to Manchester United, but Jose Mourinho pulled out of what he thought was a dead end chase.
Cristiano Ronaldo factfile
- Cristiano Ronaldo was born in Funchal, Madeira – a Portuguese archipelago – on February 5, 1982
- He came through the youth systems of Nacional and Sporting Lisbon, before Sir Alex Ferguson was so impressed with his performance in a pre-season friendly against Manchester United that he decided to buy him
- In six seasons at Old Trafford, Ronaldo became one of the best players in world football, scoring 118 goals in 292 games
- He won the FA Cup in 2004, the League Cup in 2006 and 2009 and three consecutive Premier League titles from 2007 to 2009
- Ronaldo and United also beat Chelsea to the Champions League in Russia in 2008 – resulting in his first Ballon d’Or that year
- The Portuguese star joined Real Madrid for a then-world record fee of £80million in 2009
- At the Bernabeu Ronaldo has developed into one of the best players ever. He is the club’s all-time top goalscorer, with a ridiculous 406 goals in just 394 matches
- Ronaldo has won the Copa del Rey twice, La Liga twice and the Champions League three times – last season saw Ronaldo lead Los Blancos to a League and Champions League double
- The No 7 also helped Portugal to a famous European Championship win in 2016
- Ronaldo has won various individual awards, including the Ballon d’Or four times. He is the heavy favourite to win the Ballon d’Or again this year
- The Portuguese is also the world’s highest paid athlete
Mendes, Fassone and Mirabelli were in a meeting to discuss potential moves for three of his clients – Renato Sanches of Bayern Munich, Chelsea rebel Diego Costa and Monaco hotshot Radamel Falcao.
Milan have shocked the rest of Europe this season with their massive spending.
The Rossoneri, who have barely competed in Serie A since Zlatan Ibrahimovic left the club in 2012, have spent more than £100million.
Eleven players have joined the club – including the impressive coups of Leonardo Bonucci for £35m, Andre Silva for £30m and Franck Kessie on a two-year loan with an obligation to buy for just £18m.
Have you signed up to play fantasy football yet?
If the answer is no you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.
Because the Dream Team game – the UK’s biggest fantasy football game – is back and better than ever this season.
You’ve got a £50m budget to pick 11 players, with all the biggest new signings ready and raring to go ahead of a mouthwatering new Premier League campaign.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up to play now!