Pep Guardiola will go all out for Alexis Sanchez as he looks to continue his record-breaking spree.
The Manchester City boss finalised the signing of Benjamin Mendy for £49.3million yesterday.
The club have bought six players this summer for £217.8m — beating Real Madrid’s 2009 high, with the transfer window open for another five weeks.
And City are looking to spend more, with Arsenal hitman Sanchez still very much in their sights.
They have been encouraged by the failure of Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain to land Arsenal’s Chilean star.
And they remain hopeful the fact Sanchez, who has 12 months left on his Emirates deal, wants to play for Guardiola again can be a key factor.
City rate former Barcelona hitman Sanchez in the £50m bracket. And they also retain an interest in Monaco’s £120m-rated Kylian Mbappe.
Guardiola, with the City squad in Los Angeles, is said to be ‘delighted’ by the way the club’s transfer brokers have leapt into action this summer.
Alexis Sanchez factfile
- Born in Tocopilla, Chile on December 19, 1988
- Began his career in Chilean club Cobreloa, breaking into the first-team after one year in 2005
- Signed for Italian club Udinese in 2006 and spent one season on loan at Colo-Colo in his home country, then another at Argentine club River Plate
- Signed for Barcleona in 2011 in a £23million deal
- Won La Liga, the Copa del Rey, Supercopa, Uefa Super Cup and Fifa Club World Cup during three seasons at the Nou Camp
- Signed for Arsenal in 2014 for £35million
- Won the FA Cup in 2015 and 2017, as well as the Community Shield in 2014 and 2015
- Claimed the Cop America Cup in 2015 and 2016
- Named PFA Fans’ Player of the Year in 2015
Mendy, at £49.3m, is their biggest buy — while Monaco pal Bernardo Silva cost £43m.
Right-back pair Kyle Walker, at £50m, and Danilo, £26.5m, have weighed in.
Then Brazilian goalkeeper Ederson cost £34.9m and Samba midfielder Douglas Luiz was bought in a £14.1m deal.
City held off late interest from Chelsea to complete the signing of French international full-back Mendy from Monaco.
The champions asked to be kept informed of developments as they struggled to complete a move for Alex Sandro of Juventus.
Yet Mendy said on joining City: “This is what I wanted from the very beginning.
“As soon as the championship was over, I talked to my family and it was all clear in my head, I wanted to join Manchester City.
“Playing for Pep Guardiola can only be beneficial for me.”