Chelsea are homing in on a £65million deal for Borussia Dortmund striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
After missing out on No 1 target Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United, Blues boss Antonio Conte is desperate to add more firepower to his squad as the champions start the defence of the title next month.
Daily Mirror report Chelsea have turn their attention to the Gabon star after hitting a brick wall trying sign Real Madrid striker Alvaro Morata.
Aubameyang, 28, has been prolific in the Bundesliga bagging 40 goals last term and has been ready to leave Dortmund all summer.
Chelsea’s move for the Gabon international could set off a striker merry-go-round with Dortmund in talks with the Gunners for Olivier Giroud.
The French international is with the squad in Australia and hinted he could leave the Emirates this summer in search of regular football.
Giroud said this week:”I’m here in pre-season, I wanted to travel. Some people asked me if I am going to travel or not and of course, I am Arsenal player and for the moment I am here so I just want to prepare well for the season and we will see later.”
“We will see about my future but I am still an Arsenal player for the moment so I try to be professional.
“No matter what happens, I did my job on the pitch.”
- Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang is a Gabon international, but was born in Laval, France in 1989
- After 12 years playing in French youth football, Aubameyang joined Italian club AC Milan, where big things were expected
- But incredibly, now valued at more than £60million, the Rossoneri never gave him a chance. He was loaned out to four clubs before joining French outfit St Etienne for a fee believed to be less than £1m
- He was the top scorer in his first season in France, despite joining in December. He ended with 16 goals in Ligue 1
- The following season only Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored more goals than the Gabon striker. This earned him a move to Borussia Dortmund
- His finest season in the Bundesliga was the one just passed, 2016/17 where he finished with a majestic 42 goals in 51 games
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is the son of former Gabonese international Pierre Aubameyang
Giroud added:“I’ll try to prepare well for the season, that is the most important thing for me.”
Chelsea are looking dump Diego Costa with his former club Atletico Madrid still keen.
The Spaniards can sign the striker but cannot register him due to their transfer embargo, meaning Costa will have to go on loan to stay match fit until the ban is lifted in January.
The writing is on the wall for the forward and Nemanja Matic who will not be on the Blues pre-season tour of the Far East next week.