Jose Mourinho wants Manchester United to make Tottenham a £60million bid for Eric Dier, according to reports.
The England international is one of the United boss’ top transfer targets and has left executive vice chairman Ed Woodward in charge of getting him.
And according to the Mirror, Mourinho has urged Woodward to make an offer Spurs will find difficult to refuse.
Mourinho has turned his attention to the midfielder after already splashing out on Victor Lindelof and £75m on Romelu Lukaku.
The Red Devils were originally willing to spend £40m on Dier but Spurs are confident they can keep their man.
Dier could push for a permanent midfield spot at United, where he also double his £75,000-a-week wages.
For his part, United boss Mourinho is desperate for cover in the defensive area of midfield going into the new season.
He is seeking to re-balance the middle of the park, especially with Champions League football assured.
Eric Dier: Factfile on the young English star wanted by Manchester United for £60million
- Eric Dier was born on born January, 15, 1994 in Cheltenham.
- He plays for Premier League Tottenham Hotspur and England.
- A versatile defensive player, Dier has been used as a defensive midfielder, a centre-back and a right-back.
- His childhood was spent in Portugal, where as a Benfica youth player he was loaned to Everton.
- His professional debut came with Sporting Lisbon in 2012 when the club ended a run of eight straight losses thanks to his ‘assist’ to help beat Braga.
- It is Dier’s football education in Portugal that gave him the sound technique that allows him to perform the holding midfielder role so well.
- Having joined Tottenham for £4million in 2014 Dier has since made 135 first-team outings, scoring eight goals.
- Experts readily agree that his one weakness is an apparent lack of concentration throughout the 90 minutes.
Dier has emerged as one of Tottenham’s key players since moving to White Hart Lane in 2014.
Should the Red Devils fail to convince Spurs chairman Daniel Levy to sell Dier, then Borussia Dortmund’s Julian Weigl is another alternative to Nemanja Matic.
United were also keen on the Chelsea star but since stealing Lukaku from under their noses, a deal is unlikely to happen.
Weigl has impressed in the last two seasons since signing for Dortmund as an 18-year-old in 2015.
Now 21, the former 1860 Munich ace is a first-team regular at the Westfalenstadion and impressed during Thomas Tuchel’s march to the final, where they beat Bayern Munich 3-2 in Berlin.