MANCHESTER CITY are now hot favourites to land Alexis Sanchez after Bayern Munich were priced out of a move, according to reports.
The Gunners are expected to demand over £50million for their star player, who is out of contract next summer.
According to the Mirror, Bayern are unwilling to splash out what would be a club-record fee and will turn their attentions elsewhere unless Arsenal lower their price.
And City are now confident they can lure him to the Etihad because he wants to play for Pep Guardiola, according to the Guardian.
Arsene Wenger is resigned to losing Sanchez, 28, as he fears losing him on a free.
The Gunners boss had a rumoured offer of £280,000 a week rejected by Sanchez.
Selling to a Premier League rival is Arsenal’s nightmare scenario, but City are now clear-cut favourites.
Guardiola hopes a reunion with his former Barcelona ace will help him form a fearsome attack to challenge for the Prem and Champions League next season.
MOST READ IN FOOTBALL
Sanchez was Arsenal’s top scorer last term with 24 league goals.
Reports earlier this week suggested City could offer Sergio Aguero as part of a swap deal for the Chile star, who scored in the penalty shootout to help fire his team into the Confederations Cup final last night.
Alexis Sanchez factfile
- Born in Tocopilla, Chile on December 19, 1988
- Began his career in Chilean club Cobreloa, breaking into the first-team after one year in 2005
- Signed for Italian club Udinese in 2006 and spent one season on loan at Colo-Colo in his home country, then another at Argentine club River Plate
- Signed for Barcleona in 2011 in a £23million deal
- Won La Liga, the Copa del Rey, Supercopa, Uefa Super Cup and Fifa Club World Cup during three seasons at the Nou Camp
- Signed for Arsenal in 2014 for £35million
- Won the FA Cup in 2015 and 2017, as well as the Community Shield in 2014 and 2015
- Claimed the Cop America Cup in 2015 and 2016
- Named PFA Fans’ Player of the Year in 2015
Arsenal have launched a £35m bid for Monaco winger Thomas Lemar as they line up Sanchez’s replacement.
An initial £28m offer was rejected but the Ligue 1 champions are giving serious consideration to their improved bid.
Wenger is also closing in on a club record £57m move for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette.