How badly do they want to be champions?
Everyone’s pre-season expectations have been proved true.
Alongside Man City, Liverpool have emerged as the most likely title contenders to Pep Guardiola’s men.
If Jurgen Klopp’s side are to end their long wait for a league title, they will need to navigate through a particularly tricky spell of fixtures.
Spanning from September 15 to October 7, the Reds face the ultimate test of their squad depth, title credentials and character.
Liverpool fans, look away now…
The Anfield club’s Premier League hopes could well be derailed because of their involvement against tough opposition in cup competitions.
Liverpool were drawn alongside tricky opposition in their Champions League group, and will meet PSG and Napoli within a few weeks of each other.
Klopp’s woes were furthered after his side were drawn against Chelsea in the third round of the Carabao Cup.
Coming out unscathed from these types of runs is more often than not the sign of worthy champions.
Klopp’s management credentials will be tested to the extreme, with his squad management and rotation policy likely to prove pivotal.
The fact Liverpool will face three of their closest title rivals in such quick succession could well be the difference come May.
If the Reds are to be crowned champions, they certainly wouldn’t have done it the easy way…
How’s your nerve?
READ MORE FROM THE WEIRD AND WONDERFUL WORLD OF DREAM TEAM:
- UEFA’s ignorance towards a political issue could cost Arsenal Europa League success
- Celebrating ten seasons of Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery’s incredible double act
- The success stories that prove Genk is an absolute breeding ground for talent
Have you signed up to play Dream Team Weekender?
- Pick 7 players – no limit to the number of players you can choose from one club
- No transfer budget – any player is available to pick
- Only Saturday and Sunday fixtures
- Sign up to play Dream Team Weekender now