Giroud will have a shiner in the morning.
Something eventually had to give during Newcastle’s clash with Chelsea.
Rafa Benitez’s side had all but sat back for the entirety of the game, only coming forward after Hazard opened the scoring from the spot.
Newcastle’s rare spurt of ambition was rewarded, albeit coming in controversial fashion.
In the buildup to Joselu’s header which made the game level at 1-1, DeAndre Yedlin collided with Giroud, leaving the Frenchman in a heap.
Newcastle fans would believe that their slice of luck was justified, after the earlier penalty awarded to Chelsea had looked harsh.
Joselu’s equaliser was however cancelled out just five minutes later, after Yedlin got his comeuppance for the earlier assault on Giroud.
The 25-year-old was the victim this time, as he scored a late own goal to hand Chelsea all three points.
Yedlin was helpless after Marcos Alonso fired the ball across the box, with the American unable to sort his feet in time to prevent the ball from striking him.
The 2-1 defeat leaves Newcastle sitting perilously in 16th place, with just one point on the board so far.
Yedlin will presumably see time behind bars for his assault on Giroud.
READ MORE FROM THE WEIRD AND WONDERFUL WORLD OF DREAM TEAM:
- Steven Gerrard’s Rangers players have clearly been copying him after hilarious double slip
- Cristiano Ronaldo accused of ‘not celebrating’ team-mates’ goals again… but here’s the truth
- Roberto Firmino pulled his signature move against Brighton and barely anyone noticed
Have you signed up to play Dream Team Weekender?
- Pick 7 players – no limit to the number of players you can choose from one club
- No transfer budget – any player is available to pick
- Only Saturday and Sunday fixtures
- Sign up to play Dream Team Weekender now