We were pretty optimistic about England’s chances at the Under-17s World Cup, that’s currently being played out in India.
But that’s all changed after Big Bad Borussia Dortmund decided to recall star man Jadon Sancho from the set-up.
The 17-year-old has been outstanding for England so far, notching three goals and two assists as Steve Cooper’s side steamrollered through Group F – beating Iraq, Mexico and Chile.
But as the Three Lions look ahead to to their last-16 clash against Japan on Tuesday, Sancho will be no where near the starting XI.
Instead, the youngster has flown out to Cyprus to join up with his club side for their Champions League match against APOEL on Tuesday.
The forward is still waiting to make his debut for the Germans, after some lengthy paperwork clearance issues.
He was an unused sub in BVB’s recent 2-1 win over Augsburg before heading off for international duty.
It’s certainly a bitter pill to swallow for Cooper, who reportedly said Sancho would be staying.
According to Goal, he said after the Iraq win on Saturday: “Jadon will be here with us, we don’t have any news on him leaving.”
An England spokesman added on Sunday after training: “The squad trained in two groups and Jadon was in one of the groups – as of now there is no further information.”
Sancho has already admitted he has been caught up by the thrill of “entertaining the crowd” in South Asia.
He told TheFA.com: “I just like exciting the crowd with my football.
“India’s been great, the welcome has been really good, they’ve cheered us on and they were screaming our names.
“To hear someone screaming your name from another country is really big, as I never knew that I was known out here.”