This is sad news, not just for Manchester City fans but neutrals too.
City boss Pep Guardiola has confirmed Benjamin Mendy is ‘facing months’ on the sidelines with suspected knee ligament damage.
Some reports fear the world’s most expensive defender, who was signed for £51.6m from Monaco in the summer, could miss the entire season to recover.
And with the tests expected to confirm the worst after he sees a specialist in Barcelona, Guardiola may have to sign a new left-back in January.
He said: “Tomorrow he’s travelling to Barcelona and we will see finally what he has.
“Our first impression is that it will it be a little long, longer than we expected. It is very frustrating for him first as a person.
“Like with [Ilkay] Gundogan last year I feel sorry for him. We would miss him a lot, it would be a major setback.”
Asked if City may buy a replacement, Guardiola added: “We will see. We thought about next summer about looking for another left-back.
“We have Danilo, [Fabian] Delph and [Oleksandr] Zinchenko who can play there so we will see as we go along.”
Ilkay Gundogan’s similar injury ruled him out for nine months last season, with the midfielder getting a knock on his first start since recovering against West Brom last week.
Fabian Delph performed well after Guardiola turned to the former Aston Villa man for the 2-0 Champions League defeat of Shakhtar Donetsk on Tuesday night.
After the game, Guardiola said: “Fabian Delph was man of the match.
“When a guy who is so kind and can help the team, he is intelligent, is physical and never loses the ball. He controlled Marlos and did it very well.
“Even at 1-0, we were stable. We did not score goals but it was a demanding game. The next game against Napoli will be even tougher.”
Mendy has made an instant impression during his short time in England so far, with some fans already crowning him the ‘king of social media’ after a series of hilarious posts.