Marcus Rashford is no stranger to the limelight.
His meteoric rise in recent years has propelled him to the forefront of both Manchester United and England fans’ hopes for the next generation.
And his impact on his various debuts suggests the hype is justified.
Rashford appears to save his best for his first appearances in every competition, boasting a remarkable SEVEN debut goals after he scored on his full World Cup qualifying bow against Slovakia last week.
His strikes have come on his:
- Manchester United/Europa League debut (v Midtjylland in February 2016)
- Premier League debut (v Arsenal in February 2016)
- Manchester derby debut (v Manchester City in March 2016)
- England debut (v Australia in May 2016)
- England Under-21 debut (v Norway in September 2016)
- League Cup debut (v Northampton in September 2016)
- World Cup qualifying (v Slovakia in September 2017)
That’s a rather impressive and eclectic mix.
So what’s left for him to tick off? Yep, you guessed it, the Champions League.
*CUE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THEME TUNE PLEASE*
Rashford and his in-form United team-mates take on Basel at Old Trafford tonight in Group A of Europe’s elite competition hoping to extend their unbeaten run to the season.
Why Rashford is a safe bet for first goalscorer tonight
- Rashford thrives on debuts – has SEVEN debut goals
- 2 goals and 1 assist this season
- Preferred to Anthony Martial at the moment
- Get Wright On It: Rashford to score first against Basel
United are flying in the Premier League, sitting top on goal difference from neighbours Manchester City after smashing 12 goals in four games.
And Rashford has played a vital role in that vibrant attacking unit, scoring or assisting a goal every 83 minutes of action (2 goals, 1 assist).
7.5% of Dream Team managers have selected the 19-year-old this week – a smart move in our eyes.
So can he deliver the goods again tonight and make it a remarkable EIGHT debut goals?