Liverpool face a tapping-up quiz over Dominic Solanke.
Their swoop for the Chelsea youngster will go to tribunal and put Kop transfers in the spotlight again.
Only last week the Reds apologised for their pursuit of of an illegal approach for Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk.
And Premier League champs Chelsea are said to be fuming at seeing another bright star end up at Anfield.
Striker Rhian Brewster, 17, made Liverpool’s first-team squad under Jurgen Klopp last season having left the Blues in 2015.
Rules state that out-of-contract players can talk to domestic clubs after the third week in May.
But SunSport reported in February that striker Solanke was heading to Liverpool when his contract expired at the end of the season.
According to sources, he said goodbyes to pals at Stamford Bridge before the end of the season.
Solanke, 19, has been busy helping England’s Under-20s get through to Sunday’s U20 World Cup final with Venezuela.
But Liverpool announced that personal terms had been agreed on May 30.
Chelsea declined to comment on the Solanke move but the timeline of the transfer will come to light later this year.
The two clubs have not agreed on a fee so compensation will be decided by tribunal.
Last season Liverpool were fined £100,000 and banned from signing academy players from English clubs for two years — one suspended — for tapping up a schoolboy from Stoke.
The Reds declined to comment last night.