When Liverpool thrashed Crystal Palace 7-0 just before Christmas, who would have predicted they would fail to win any of their next five league games?
The Reds only victory since their demolition of the Eagles came against Aston Villa’s creche group in the FA Cup.
They’ve scored seven goals in their last eight games and conceded the just as many but that statistic takes on a different shape when you consider four of their goals came against Villa’s nappy-wearing pups.
DREAM TEAM SELECTOR
We’ve become so used to viewing Jurgen Klopp’s side as perhaps the world’s best side – alongside Bayern Munich – that their current rocky patch appears exaggerated.
Similarly, Dream Team gaffers have become accustomed to Liverpool players providing voluminous points on a weekly basis.
Which is why so many of us have been left with our fingers hovering over the TRANSFERS tab after disappointingly checking the Anfield residents’ recent returns.
And the stats do make for grim reading…
- Max Kilman (£1.4m) got the same number of points in the most recent Game Week as Andy Robertson (£4.4m) has accumulated since Liverpool’s win at Palace
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (£4.4m) has only taken one more point than his fellow full-back in the same time frame — he remains the third-most popular defender
- Alisson (£3.6m) is averaging 1.2 points per game since Game Week 15
- Mohamed Salah (£6.2m) bagged a brace against Man United in his last outing but he’s blanked in five of his last seven games
- The Egyptian’s price has dropped £0.8m since the 1-1 draw against West Brom
- Four of Liverpool’s five most popular players registered minus points in the most recent Game Week
The schedule has conspired to heap pressure on the defending champions as they travel to Spurs and West Ham before the relative respite of a home fixture against Brighton.
But that preludes a seismic run of Man City (h), Leicester (a), RB Leipzig (a) and Everton (h) in what could be a season-defining period of the campaign.
Liverpool are simply too good to write-off but Dream Team bosses will be keeping a careful eye on their results in the coming weeks.
BET £10 GET £10 - AD
- Stake £10 with Betway and get another £10 free
- CLAIM HERE*
- New customers only. Min Deposit: £10. First deposit matched up to £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bet. Debit Card & PayPal deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. Terms apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org